Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Primary Research

I had my 9th grade Literature and Composition students take this survey (97 students total). This survey was adapted from Godley and Minnici, p. 343.

Language Survey

1. How important do you think it is to learn Standard English grammar? Explain your answer in at least two complete sentences.

2. Circle the sentence that best describes how often you use Standard English grammar? (Circle one.)

I use it all the time.

I use it most of the time.

I use it some of the time.

I rarely use it.

I never use it.

3. Why do you use Standard English grammar as often or as infrequently as you indicated above? Explain your answer in at least one complete sentence.

4. When do you use Standard English grammar? (Circle all that apply.)

In my writing

With my friends

At work

In class

With my parents

With strangers

5. Why do you use Standard English grammar in the situations you indicated above? Explain your answer in at least one complete sentence.

6. Do you think most people just speak one dialect (like Standard English) or use a variety of dialects in different parts of their lives? Explain in at least one complete sentence.

7. Do you think people should use Standard English all the time or should speak different ways in different situations? Explain in at least one complete sentence.

No comments: